For your kids, the playroom is one of the happiest indoor spaces. If you’re thinking about renovating your kids’ playroom or building a new one, you should start with selecting the best flooring option. The flooring should be soft and comfortable for their little feet. With resistance to wear and tear, it should prevent slipping. It should also be easy to clean and maintain.
With so many flooring options available, choosing the right floor for your kids’ playroom can be overwhelming. We’ve put together some of the best flooring options to help you select a floor that suits your needs.
If your kids are fond of riding bikes, driving toy cars and rolling skating indoors, laminate flooring is ideal for their playroom. With an appearance like wood flooring, laminates come in different colours, designs, and patterns. However, you should choose chemical-free laminates that are free from formaldehyde and other toxins. You can also pair it with comfortable area rugs.
- It’s available in several qualities, including scratch-proof and dent-proof varieties.
- It’s less expensive than hardwood, including installation and replacement costs.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Low-quality products can get scratched easily.
- Smooth finish products are slippery.
- The adhesives and finishes used during the production and installation phases can cause health issues over time.
Vinyl is a very easy-to-clean, durable and affordable flooring option for playrooms. It offers a safe playing surface for your kids. Vinyl flooring is available in a wide variety of colours, styles, and patterns to provide a stimulating environment ideal for a playroom. It comes in tiles, planks, and sheets.
- It’s comfortable and quiet.
- It’s resistant to mold, mildew, and bacteria, making it an allergy-proof flooring option.
- It’s durable and scratch resistant.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain.
- Dented or damaged tiles can be replaced without changing the entire floor.
- Smooth finish vinyl is slippery and isn’t safe for your kids.
- It contains Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) which can be harmful to your kids’ health over time due to its toxicity.
Carpets are soft and warm, offering an ideal surface for kids to play or run on. They’re available in various colours, designs, and textures and can add a beautiful touch to the décor of your kids’ playroom. They come in tiles and floor-to-floor options.
Choose bright colours as they’ll not only make the room look vibrant, but will also effectively disguise mild stains. You can select a plush carpet that comes with a sheared surface for the softest feel. If you want extreme durability, go for indoor-outdoor carpet. This type of carpet offers few places for dust accumulation.
- It’s soft and slip-resistant, reducing the risk of dangerous falls. This makes it safe for babies and toddlers.
- High-quality and stain-resistant carpets are easy to clean and maintain.
- It easily accumulates dust, grime, debris and harbours dust mites. This means it can exacerbate allergies.
- Low-quality carpet is difficult to clean and maintain.
- It can stimulate the growth of mold and mildew if spills are left ignored.
When it comes to your kids’ playroom, it’s evident that there will be a lot of drops and spills, toys dragged across the floor and damage from foot traffic. For babies who are still crawling or just learning to walk, smooth finish flooring options are better as they’ll help them make their first movements easier. For older children, durable and rough surface flooring options are preferable as they’re more physically active.
When choosing a floor for a playroom, consider the age of your kids and how they play or use the space. For some creative ideas, you can check out Pinterest.