Hardwood is not a new entrant in the world of floorings. Presence of solid wood as flooring composition can be traced back to 1700s. The wood boards were gigantic, even reaching the length of 16 inches. Unlike present construction of homes, back in the 1700s and 1800s, there were no sub-floors. This was the reason for incorporating such huge wooden planks, so that the ends could be fixed to the joists.
The concept of installing solid wood with tongue and groove method came into existence in the year 1885. Wood boards were scraped with hands to provide utmost perfection; until Art Emmons invented electric floor sander, which was even portable.
With so many profiting technical processes, installing hardwood is effortless in modern era. All you have to do is, keep in track of few essential details pertaining to hardwood flooring.
Wonder what they are?
1. The amazing side of hardwood availability: What if, you are told that hardwood besides its types, distinction of colors and captivating grains, has got a lot more to provide? Hand-scraped solid wood enhances the appeal of your floor with rustic look. But in wire-brushed hardwood, the soft grains are extracted out from the growth rings to make it resistant to wear and tear.
2. When investment is crucial: Acquired from nature, without any adulteration, a floor composed of complete solid wood is indeed heavy on your budget. But floors are expected to last long; hence use of quality materials is mandatory. In case you plan to sell your home, presence of superior constituent will increase its resale value.
3. Hardwood is unparalleled: No substitute of hardwood can replace the worth of its strength, decorative appearance and natural shades. Available in strips and planks, hardwood remarkably meets all aesthetic and functional demands.
4. Made better with vapor barrier: There is no denying that hardwood being nature’s derivative is susceptible to gaping. When moisture content changes with season, the solid wooden planks and strips tend to expand and contract, causing undesirable shrinkage and splits. Presence of a vapor sealant protects the top hardwood floor from the unwanted effect of moisture.
5. Competent durability: The inbuilt strength of hardwood allows it to stay firm for almost thirty years. You can repair or access planks and strips individually to replace a certain area in case it gets damaged. With a protective coat, your floor is all set to be used for many years to come.
The harder the wood you choose, less will be its tendency to get affected by dents and scratches. Don’t get disheartened in case your room is small. Hardwood is meant for every space. The trick is to utilize small strips. The repetitions will make your room appear virtually bigger.