Wooden floors are extremely enchanting but honestly look incomplete without a carpet or rug. Carpets look very formal while area rugs with an element of informality add immense style and sophistication to wherever they are placed. Rugs are an important component of every room and are much needed to complete the look of a well designed room. However, picking a rug may not be as easy as it sounds. There are several things that you need to think about when you choose one. Here’s how you can go about buying one for your home:
• First and foremost, the area rug you choose ought to complement the rest of the room’s design, decor and furnishings. Keep in mind the wall color, flooring, upholstery, etc. when you choose one.
• Choose a rug that is durable. The durability factor would greatly depend on where you are planning to place the rug. If you are hoping to keep it in an area with high footfalls, then it has to be extremely durable. It should be in a position to take all the abuse and yet look beautiful. Or if you want to keep it simply near the fire place or by the bed, then a less durable one will work equally well.
• Choose area rugs can be expensive and are like an investment. Be on the lookout for discounts and offers by reputed stores in your area, so that you get a good bargain. Rugs do not last forever and you may have to replace them in a few years, so spend and invest accordingly.
• Though the rug you choose should match the rest of the room, keep in mind your personal taste. If a particular rug catches your eye and your mind keeps going back to it, then go for it because it is something that you will see each day. If you really don’t love what you buy, then probably you will be wasting your money!
• The next important thing that you need to bear in mind is the size of the rug. Most people end up buying big rugs for small spaces, making the area look even smaller. It is very important to buy a correctly sized rug. Measure your room and keep in mind the furniture placements before you decide the size. It should not make a room look smaller!
After you have bought a rug, care and maintenance are very important. You can put pads under it especially if it is in a high traffic area. Direct sunlight can discolor your rug, so use your window coverings to protect it from harsh UV rays. Take care of spillages as different liquids can leave stains behind. Last but not the least, it is important to vacuum or sweep it regularly to prevent dust from accumulating.